The meeting was called to order by Acting President Rick at 7:00PM. 19 members and three guests, Camara Van Breeman and Chantelle Bowles from Canuck Place and Nazmi Kamal, a prospective new member, sponsored by Zahir Dossa were present.
PREVIOUS MINUTES: Moved by Steve D. that the minutes of September 16th be accepted as published on the website and via email, seconded by Chris D., Carried.
CORRESPONDENCE: Several pieces of correspondence including many invitations to other clubs’ functions and thank you letters from Delta Hospital Foundation, KinVillage and the Delta Community Animal Shelter were distributed.
GUEST SPEAKERS - Camara Van Breeman and Chantelle Bowles from Canuck Place gave a very informative presentation on the workings of Canuck Place, in Vancouver, stressing what the facility does for children with severe medical conditions. They also deal with families who live in rural and other communities in the province and explained how they have partnerships with airlines and hotels in order to help these families either get to Vancouver or to get help to them in their home locations. Their goal is to help children to be better during their treatment. An outline of the various roles in the organization from food services and housekeeping to counselling and recreational therapy was given and a slide presentation outlined such things as their budget, expenses and how many volunteer hours are put in annually.
1. Financial Report: Moved by Harry S. that the Treasurer’s Report be accepted as published and circulated, seconded by Marilyn E., Carried.
2. Community Donations Committee: 1) Lion Roger moved that we donate $250 to the Tunnel Town Curling Club in support of youth programs, seconded by Peter T., Carried. 2) Lion Roger moved that we donate $2,500 to Monica Burrow to assist her “Come On In!” Accessibility Sticker Campaign involving the production of 1,000 stickers as outlined to the membership on September 16, 2019. Seconded by Gary K., Carried.
3. Lions Bio: Wayne C. gave us a very informative talk on his life in the hospitality industry, from Montréal to Vancouver.
4. Legion Branch 289 Request: We have received a request from the Tsawwassen Legion to assist them with their Sunday meat draws. Rather than do this it has been suggested that we would agree to donate $500 in memory of Lloyd Jones, a long time active Legionnaire in Tsawwassen. Moved by Rick M., seconded by Peter H., Carried.
5. Annual Legion Poppy Campaign: Brian E. has put out a call for help from Lions to assist in this year’s Poppy Campaign which runs from October 25th to November 10th. He would like help in locations such as Shoppers Drug Mart, Save-On Foods and the Town Centre Mall.
6. Round Table: Steve D. advised that Allan and Eleanor Calderwood have once again offered to host our Christmas party at their place on December 14th. The Lions Christmas Ship sails again on Dec. 14th and 15th out of Bellingham to the San Juan Islands. Anyone interested in joining the crew to help distribute presents can call Secretary Steve D. for more information. Roberta B. has asked that each member contact her before each dinner meeting to advise whether or not they will be eating. A reminder will go out with each agenda and notification of the meeting. The big cheque photo at Cammidge House will take place just before the next meeting on October 21st.
7. Good and Welfare of Members: Zahir D. has offered to pick up David M. and bring him to our meetings but unfortunately David was a no-show when Zahir stopped by to pick him up. Murray H. is still not able to come to meetings.
TERMINATION/ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was terminated at 8:25 PM
- November 23 - Cub Jamboree at Centennial Beach
- December 7 - OWL Open House
- December 12 - Pancake Breakfast at South Park School
- January 1, 2020 - Polar Bear Swim
- January 4 and 5 - Tree Chipping at South Delta Rec Centre
- January 6 - Zone Chair Visit - Steven Wong
- January 20 - District Governor Visit - Patty Allen