General Meeting Minutes - March 4, 2019
The meeting was called to order by Lion President Kim C. at 7:00PM. 24 members were present. Miggs Sawchuck from Meals on Wheels was our guest.
PREVIOUS MINUTES: Moved by Lion Steve D. that the minutes of February 19th be accepted as published on the website and via email, seconded by Lion Peter H. Carried.
CORRESPONDENCE: A flyer from Burlington Lions club promoting their prime rib dinner on April 27th was circulated.
President Kim mentioned that the ‘In Memory Of’ banner has been completed by Lions Beth C-H. and Roberta B. and is now hanging on the wall.
Tail Twister Lion Marilyn E. drew the winning raffle ticket and the lucky winner of the 50/50 and a bottle of wine was Lion Walter M. who donated his winnings back to the club.
Lion Roger L. introduced our guest speaker Miggs Sawchuck, the President of Delta Meals on Wheels who described that MoW provides healthy meals to ‘seniors’ in their own homes on a daily basis. They provide some daily social interaction with folks who might otherwise be all alone and unable to prepare their own meals. They currently have 12 volunteer drivers but can always use more, even if just for relief. Miggs also asked if there was anyone who might be interested on serving on their Board (4 times a year), that they contact her. (Last month the Club passed a motion by electronic vote to donate $3,000 to MoW and President Kim presented our cheque to Miggs after her presentation).
1. Financial Report: Lion Harry S. moved that the treasurer’s report be accepted as circulated, seconded by Lion Gary K. Carried
2. Nominating Committee: Lion Murray H. and his committee have been compiling their list of potential officers for next year’s Board. The official notice of the Nomination meeting to be held on March 18th was then given with the Annual General Meeting to follow on April 1st at which the election will take place.
3. Canada Day Coordinator: Lion Peter Hay reported that he has arranged for the Rangers to do crafts and face painting. Entertainment by Don Taylor has been arranged and the Canada Day Funding Grant has been approved. Everything else is progressing well.
4. Grauer Park: President Kim reported that two work parties were recently held to strip the bark and sand down the poles which are to be installed at the playground at the park and he thanked those who came out to help. See Item 7 below for comments re the sander
5. Spring Conference: President Kim advised that the Club will pay for the costs of registration and accommodations for 1 Lion + partner to attend the Spring Conference in Chilliwack on March 15/16. Please advise Kim if you would like to go.
6. Boundary Bay Regional Park Ass’n: This group which is responsible for the operation of Cammidge House is looking for a Lion member to sit on their committee. They are also looking for information how the Lions came to be involved in the moving of and renovation to the House.
7. Round Table discussion: President Kim mentioned that due to an equipment malfunction while sanding at Grauer Park, he had to arrange with Lo-Cost Equipment Rentals to replace the sander. The good news is that Lo-Cost said if any Lion presents a membership card at the time of rental, they will receive a 10% discount. Lion Murray indicated that the car lot van was taken to a mechanic for engine work to be done as the beast has been difficult to start and requires maintenance. Cost is expected to be about $2,300+ which can be charged to the CarLot Reserve fund. Lion Roger followed up on the ‘In Memory Of’ banner by commenting on the contributions that the deceased members had made to the Club and to the Community and also thanked Lion Steve D. for his work in researching the names and ordering the name patches.
8. Good and Welfare: It was good to see Lion Walter back at meetings and he ended the meeting with a great story, resulting in lots of laughs.
TERMINATION/ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was terminated at 8:05 PM
March 15/16 – District 19H Spring Conference, Chilliwack