Regular Meeting Minutes
March 18th, 2019
The meeting was called to order by Lion President Kim C. at 7:00 PM. 25 members and 2 guests were present. The guests, Joni Wright and Debbie McKenzie from the Little House Society, were then introduced.
PRESENTATION ON LITTLE HOUSE SOCIETY:
Joni Wright introduced herself as Executive Director and Debbie McKenzie as Director of Counselling. After a brief history of the back ground of the Little House, Joni and Debbie described the current objectives and processes at the Little House. Their primary objective is to provide Counselling, support and education on substance abuse to the community at large. They are changing the focus from a“shame based” approach to a “support based” approach, not just for the user but also for the families.
Any resident of Delta will be provided 6 free counselling sessions after which there is a charge for each session. This charge can vary according to the means of the client. They currently run several 12 step programs for Alcoholics (daily) and Narcotic users (twice per week) as well as running Core Education sessions for families 3 times a month.
The addition of the 2 full time employees (Joni and Debbie) has meant an increase in Counselling from a handful of clients in 2017 to 180 in 2018 and they are hoping to expand further subject to available funds.
Their budget has been running at about $150,000 per annum with the bulk of the funding going to counselling services. Fund raising has been provided by the city of Delta, private donations, running events, and they have just submitted their first application for a Gaming grant. They have also received a one time Ministry of Health grant.
PREVIOUS MINUTES: Lion Peter T. moved that the minutes of March 4, 2019 be accepted as circulated, seconded by Lion Ron G., carried.
CORRESPONDENCE: Lion President Kim told the members that he had received a thank you card from Bellingham Lions for our contribution to the Christmas ship. The ship did not actually leave the dock in 2018 due to the weather however all the gifts were distributed by other means.
1) Community Donations Committee:
a) Lion Gary K. moved that the club donate $2,500 to the Little House Society; to be used for Counselling. This was seconded by Lion Rick. After some discussion an amendment was moved by Lion Gary that the sum be changed to $2,000, seconded by Lion Rick. The amendment was carried unanimously and the amended motion was also carried unanimously.
2) Nomination Meeting & AGM: Lion Murray read out the names of the members who had agreed to stand for the new Board and asked if there were any further nominations. There were none at the meeting and therefore that slate will be presented at the upcoming AGM on April 1st, unless anyone wishes to run for one of the positions in which case there will be an election at the AGM.
3) SDRC letter of support: Lion President Kim told the members that a letter would be sent to LouiseLatremouille, withdrawing the club’s support for her project as it conflicted with the club’s plans vis- à-vis Grauer Park.
4) Grauer Park Project: Lion Alan told the members that the selected contractor was now due to start work very shortly and that a schedule of the construction would be presented to the members at the next general meeting. He also told the members that there would have to be at least one more work party to sand the poles.
5) Dinner April 1st: Lion President Kim asked if any member was willing to take on organising dinner for the next meeting. There were no responses.
6) Plant Fundraiser: Lion Rick told the members that the annual plant sale at Sunnyside is scheduled for April 27/28.
7) New Banner Honour Roll: Lion Steve S. asked if anyone could explain why there were quite a few deceased members who were not listed. It was thought that the list only included those Lions who had died while they were still members. The Board to follow up.
8) Round Table: Lion Gary K. asked if anything had been arranged as a memoriam for Lion Gerry Hintz. Nothing had yet been done so he moved that $100 be given in Gary’s name to the Juvenile Diabetes Association – carried.
9) Good and Welfare of Members: No report
TERMINATION: The meeting was terminated at 8:30 PM