April 15/19 Regular Meeting Minutes
The meeting was called to order by Lion Vice President Allan C. at 7:00PM. 23 members and 2 guests were present.
WELCOMING OF GUESTS: Guests Peter Scurr of the 3rd Boundary Bay Scouts and Barb Jackson, a prospective member, were then introduced.
PREVIOUS MINUTES: Moved by Lion Steve D. that the minutes of April 1st be accepted as published on the website and via email, seconded by Lion Ron G. Carried.
1. Financial Report: Lion Harry S. moved that the treasurer’s report be accepted as circulated, seconded by Lion Ron G. Carried. VP Allan reminded all members that our dues of $100.00 are to be paid prior to the end of June.
2. Community Conations Committee: Lion Roger reminded all that the mandate of the CDC is to find groups or individuals in the community which may require our assistance. He then introduced Peter Scurr, our guest speaker from the 3rd Boundary Bay Scouts that they are promoting a ‘Mini Jamboree’ for Cubs, ages 5-8, to be held at the end of November at Centennial Beach. In previous years they have held this event at Deas Island Park, but costs there are escalating and while they charge $10. per participant, including leaders, parents and helpers, they are having trouble breaking even. The Centennial Beach location has washrooms, covered shelters and is an excellent location. A good discussion was held with many Lions contributing, especially those who belonged to the Scouting movement in their youth.
3. Pin Presentations: VP Allan presented a Key Award to Lion Zahir, for his efforts in bringing in at least two new members and a Centennial Membership Award to Lion Gary for his sponsorship of a new Lion this year.
4. Grauer Park: Lion Allan reported that future work parties are still to be required to finish post sanding and to spread gravel. This will be organized in the near future.
5. Meal for May 6th meeting: Lion Harry volunteered to organize the meal for our next meeting on May 6th.
6. Streetside Community Kitchen event dates: Lion Rick passed around the signup sheets for the Plant Sale on April 27/28 as well as the next event which is the OWL Open House on May 4/5. As there are some Lions who have not been introduced to the kitchen, Lion Murray volunteered to show any new member through it at either of the next two events.
6A: Board Member Handbooks: Lion Steve D. will be providing an email to all Board members which contains links to the handbooks which have been put together by International for all Officers of the Board.
7. Round Table discussion: Lion Rob N. brought a request to the CDC for a donation to The Climb for Kids at Fred Ginger Park, which is to be held on May 4th. The produce manager as SaveOn Foods does this climb every year and raises money for Children’s Hospital. Lion Roger will look into this and advise of his findings and recommendations. Lion Gary congratulated VP Allan for handling the meeting in Pres. Kim’s absence. Lion Murray told of his and Cathy’s, as well as the Scotts’ excellent cruise from Miami to Cuba and other ports. Lion Greg S. (who was in the Scouting movement back in South Africa) made a motion to provide $1,000. to the 3rd Boundary Bay Scouts to assist them with their ‘Mini Jamboree’, seconded by Lion Peter H. Carried. Lion Roger mentioned that if anyone had any requests from individuals or groups to provide him with the details as soon as they can as it takes a while for his committee to process. Lion Rick thanked the club for the card that was signed by all.
8. Good and Welfare: Lion Steve D. has been corresponding with Lion Walter’s daughter Debbie, who mentioned that he had strained his back but was feeling better and hope to attend the next meeting.
TERMINATION/ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was terminated at 8:15 PM
Apr. 27/28 - Plant Fundraiser at Sunnyside Nurseries
May 4/5 - OWL Open House
May 7 - Ladner Elementary Track Meet at SDSS
May 25/26 - Ladner May Days
June 1 - Delta Hospital Auxiliary BBQ (pending)
June 8/9 - Swim Meet at Winskill
June 12 - Delta Management
June 16 - Father’s Day
July 1 - Canada Day